Tuesday, August 31, 2010

First Day of School

This is a day that I had imagined would have happened when you started kindergarten. However, the stars have aligned and now you're in a little preschool/daycare two mornings a week. I have had a billion mixed emotions about this step, but I am hoping that it turns out to be fun for you and that it helps you figure out the world around you. Your school is an adorable little old-fashioned place. It fits our neighborhood perfectly and makes me think of my own childhood. I hope you love it there eventually.

I had butterflies driving you to the school this morning. I was nervous for you, for me. What on earth would I do with my 4 hours of alone time? I knew I was going to both miss my little buddy and feel like the world was mine for a little while. When we got there, you seemed intrigued and the second your saw your buddy, the two of you ran to the train table in your classroom. That comforted me and made me think, "Silly mommy, he's going to have a blast!" I came over to you after settling your things into your cubby and kissed you bye. You gave me your usual, confident "bye Momma!" and I headed out. On the way to the car, I fought back the tears. I kept telling myself things to make myself feel better. It's only for a few hours a few days a week. He's going to learn so much. It will be good for him. And you. He's going to be fine. Etc etc.

I spent the next few hours running errands and wasting time, alternately. Part of me wanted to get a billion things done and part of me wanted to wander around Marshall's like I was 19 again and buy bunch of crap I don't need. I think I struck a fair balance between the two. :)

So, I picked you up from school, teary-eyed and missing your Momma. I think you were tired and probably a little bit confused as to why I had left you with all of those strangers. Honestly, as out-going as you are, I thought I'd pick you up and hear that it was cake for you. Easy-peasy. But no, you had cried on and off while you were there. Poor Booboo. Not quite sure what to make of your day. To make it all better, we indulged in a little mid-day ice cream from our favorite spot. Maybe Thursday will be better.

Here's some pics of your first day. You're too cute for words in your backpack. It was so heavy that you were wobbling a little bit. Too many ice packs in your first-day lunch. :)

I love you big boy. Happy first day of pretend school. xoxo, Momma




3 comments:

  1. He is definitely too cute for words in his backpack! And I'm sure he'll get used to school and eventually fall in love with it. Then he'll grow to be the age of students I teach and he'll hate it again. Just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. proud of you mama :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. He will grow to love it there, and he will learn so much. It's tough sending them off at first, but I have no doubt how much preschool helped Simon early on, and I'm excited that Ruby's in there now too. When he starts bringing home the cute stuff he made, you'll just melt anyway.

    ReplyDelete